Friday, April 10, 2009

Oakland Temple Trip

I had a special experience a couple of weeks ago that I want to share. As most people know I am LDS, and actively practicing my religion. Most people have seen the temples that our church has throughout the world, and know them to be beautiful buildings, which they are. Inside the temples we make sacred covenants and promises with God, and after we have done that for ourselves we do vicarious work for people that have passed on so they can have the same opportunities we have to make these covenenants and receive the blessings promised. In order to go inside the temple you have to be an active member of the church and ready to make the promises and covenants. We consider it a very special and sacred place which is why we don't talk about what happens inside, other than while we are there. I had the opportunity a couple of weeks ago to go and make these covenants and promises for myself, and it was a really amazing experience. I feel like it has made me closer to my Heavenly Father, and given me added comfort and strength as I am facing various challenges in my life. I am really grateful for these beautiful buildings and for the work that goes on inside of them. I am so grateful to be a part of this church and receive the peace and love that comes with it. Almost my entire family was able to be there which was another really amazing part of the experience. I love my family and felt even closer to them as we were able to be in this sacred place together.
Here are some picture that we took afterward. It was a beautiful, mostly clear, sunny day in California. Loved it.

The temple is on a hill, and the fog was mostly gone for once. So we got these clear shots...


The fog was still there in San Francisco, but you could see the Golden Gate Bridge in the background. Love the mood of this shot.

My best friend Naomi was able to drive up and come with me. So nice of her, thanks Naomi. What a beautiful Temple!



My parents and me outside.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures, and I am so proud of you and excited for you! Wish I could have been there with you. And I'm glad to see you posting again! :)

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

yay, Karen posted! I love that 2nd shot and it was so great to be in the temple that day with you. You are the BEST! I need updates--email me:)

Kent said...

What a beautiful way to describe that day! Thanks for sharing this special experience with us, it was wonderful to be there with you.