Sunday, May 20, 2012

How it's different

Having been around pregnant ladies for my career for the last 8 years, I'm pretty familiar with the common complaints of pregnancy. It is weird to be the one that is pregnant, and I thought I would share things I am surprised by:


  • 9 months goes by a lot slower when you are the one that is pregnant
  • The worrying starts pretty much as soon as that positive pregnancy test happens
  • Some of the physical problems I had before pregnancy really have gotten better 
  • There was not this immediate love, and attachment for the baby. Even after he started moving. I like him and really want everything to be okay. But it is taking a while for that maternal bond to be there. Maybe the fact that I feel so different/achy a lot of the time changes the focus? Or the scares that the pregnancy wouldn't continue kept me from bonding?
  • I obsess over if I am gaining too much weight, or not enough. I compare myself to other pregnant women all the time, even though I know different body types show at different rates. Even though I know it is normal to gain weight, and I should be getting a belly, it is still hard. Super sensitive to any comments.
  • 15 minutes with your doctor every 4 weeks doesn't leave time for very many things to be addressed. I wonder where people turn that don't have a medical background for answers and support? It helps me understand the weird ideas patients come up with. 
  • My husband is already so attached to this baby. I can tell he loves him, and that helps me a lot, and is super attractive.
  • My napping abilities all came back really well, but sleeping through the night went out the window in the first trimester. 
  • Maternity clothes are almost exclusively low cut, or have huge arm holes leaving everything showing. Aren't bras more essential when pregnant, and since when is pregnancy a sexy time?
  • Even though 9 months goes by slowly, it still doesn't seem real that there is a baby inside of me, or we will be holding one in our arms soon that has our genetics.
  • Baby clothes are even cuter to me now, and require high squealing voices to talk about.
  • I have yet to have one person just touch my belly because I am pregnant. Not totally complaining. 
  • I could never even burp if I wanted to before pregnancy, but at work the other day one came out in front of my co-worker and a waiting room full of patients with no warning. Yikes!
  • It makes me happy every time I feel this little boy moving. Not at all sick of it yet. 
  • I can drink 3 liters of water in a day no problem now.  I am that thirsty all of the time. 
  • I was never the crying type before. I know hormones are crazy in pregnancy, but do I need to cry at everything now? 

A belly shot from a couple of weeks ago:




4 comments:

nikko said...

Oh my. Such a cute belly! It's so fun to hear your perspective from inside the profession! And I agree, it always goes by fast when you're not the one pregnant!!! Can't wait to see you!

Heather said...

Hooray! I keep checking back for a post about your pregnancy! I was a HUGE cryer with Katelynn-I would break down at least once a week-it was awful, I was sure that I would forever be that way & that just made me cry more. I hope its smooth sailing from here on for you.

Sara said...

Fun to read these. :) Don't worry about the bonding. I was never super in love with any of my fetuses (feti?) but definitely concerned for their welfare. And it came slowly even after they were born. I was usually trying to recover and figure out nursing so much that an instant bond and immediate love was on the back burner. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong. :) Sorry about the crying. Wish I could say it gets better, but your emotions are probably forever changed, from my own experience...

S Semon said...

It is interesting to hear your perspective on both sides of a pregnancy! Being pregnant is so awesome and so miserable at the same time! It really doesn't last forever....but it sure feels like it does!