I was just thinking I haven't had any crazy nurse stories in a while... Serves me right.
So I was making my trek back from the grocery store, and saw some cars stopped in the middle of the road and a motorcycle on the road, with someone laying in the road. There were no paramedics there yet, and that little voice in my head from nursing school reminded me I should stop and see if I could help. I know that maternity nursing is what I am good at, but I do know basic first aid and CPR, so I thought there was a chance I could help.
I got out of my car, and asked if anyone was injured and if help was on the way. They said help was coming, but they pointed out the guy on the ground and said he was severely injured. I looked, and it was the motorcycle driver. He was unconscious and appeared to be having seizures. He was foaming at the mouth a little, his eyes were rolled into his head, he was moaning/breathing in a weird pattern, and his arms were moving out of control. I told them I was a nurse and stepped in to help until the paramedics got there.
There was no blood which was weird I think, and it appeared to be all internal injuries. But I was immediately thinking head and spine injuries. So I made sure they didn't move him at all. Even though he was have a seizure, I didn't want to turn him to keep his airway clear. I checked his breathing, and he was still breathing, and looked him over for other injuries. He was unconscious, and had pinpoint pupils which is interesting. Usually I think fixed and dilated with a brain injury, but I don't have much experience with them thank goodness. With no other injuries, I just made sure he kept breathing, and stayed immobile until the paramedics got there. He scared me a couple of times because he did stop breathing, but then started back up, but I had just started to open up his shirt to get ready to give CPR if needed, and was checking his pulse, when the paramedics arrived. Thank goodness! I have no idea how they do what they do. That was crazy and scary. I didn't even do much, besides keep other people from doing something stupid, and kept them calm.
I stayed until they loaded him in the ambulance, and then left. I hadn't seen the accident and didn't do much, so I wasn't any use at that point. There was also a huge crown gathered at that point, with the one guy video taping the whole thing with his phone. Really helpful buddy.
I have been thinking about it all day though. It is crazy to see someone so injured, and close to death. Even if he makes it, he will never be the same. I said several prayers that he would get good help. I also feel bad for the car driver. The car was turning left onto a street, and the motorcycle was going straight. Apparently the motorcycle hit the car, although I am not sure who was at fault. The car driver was fine, no injuries. But emotionally, I have no idea how I'd cope if I'd seen someone that injured and known I had something to do with it. My heart goes out to him too.
And I have also concluded that motorcycles are so dangerous! I already knew that, but this cemented it even more. If he had been in a car, the most he would have had was whip-lash. Not possibly permanent and serious injuries. He was wearing a helmet, but it doesn't offer that much protection. It wasn't even on the freeway, it was on a residential street, with the car stopped. I don't think anything crazy caused it, it just happened.
What a crazy day. I wouldn't mind if I am never the first one on the scene of an accident again. But I am grateful that everyone I know is safe, and not fighting for their life in a hospital somewhere.
1 comment:
Oh my goodness! That is awful! Sorry you had to experience that, but I'm glad you were there to keep anyone from possibly making his injuries worse...
Post a Comment