Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The proposal!

Yes, this is the proposal story for those of you who have been waiting for it, and it will be detailed because I have not written in my journal yet so this is replacing that for now. So Brigham and I have been talking about marriage for a little while now, and we both knew we wanted to marry each other. We finally went ring shopping for the first time on September 19th before we went to Wicked. I knew that I wanted something simple, small, and possibly vintage. I didn't realize how picky I would be until we went the first time! Amazingly the first store we went to was the best, had the best selection at the best prices. The ring I ended up getting was the second ring I tried on, of course. But, being who I am, I had to make sure I was getting a good deal, and wouldn't find anything better. So we went ring shopping a few more times, with me not liking most everything because nothing could compare to the second ring I tried on. We even looked into having one custom made, but what I really wanted was for them to recreate this ring. So after some torture, I gave him a couple of options for rings and let him decide. Then I started waiting. We had put this ring on hold until Saturday night, so I know he had to buy it then, or extend the hold. I also know it needed to be sized, which it ended up being sized down from an 8 1/2 to a 4 1/2. So I decided to be patient. But he kept dropping hints that I would have a ring on my finger by the time our church had this Conference, which was Saturday the 3rd of October. Every night I was wondering if he was going to propose, and it just wasn't happening! That Thursday he even brought me See's Candies, which I love, and which is also located right next to the jewelry store. I figured it would happen Friday night. I waited with anticipation all day Friday. I kept asking what we were going to do, and he kept saying: "We'll see..." So I am all excited, he comes over, we go running together for the first time after which I shower, get dressed up because I figure I want to look nice, right? Then he asks where I want to eat for the night. I am like, sheesh, okay, not tonight... Disappointed? Yep. But we have a good night, he is pretty tired and we are getting up early the next day so we called it a night early. I have to call my friend Naomi then to tell her it did not happen. The next morning he comes to get me so we can go to our Church's conference, which we usually watch at our Bishop's house because he feeds us lots of food throughout the day. I am still disappointed, and he asks what is wrong. I tell him that most guys surprise girls with proposals by proposing early, not waiting until they have given up hope. He just answers with, "lets go." I found out later that he woke up that morning and decided he had had the ring long enough and was going to propose. Guys cannot wait to get it on a girls hand once they have it I think. He had picked it up Thursday night, by the way. Anyway, I am pretty tired because I am not a morning person, but I do notice that he seems a little excited. We are leaving, and he asks if I want to bring my camera. I say nope, and he says, why don't you just bring it, and grabs it. I started to suspect something then. We start driving and he turns off a weird way. He tries to pretend it was an accident, and asks if we can still get there going that way. I am tell him no. Then he keeps driving. He ends up having to tell me where we are going because he needs directions, which I find hilarious because we have been there several times. We end up at Kerry Park, which is a place that we have been to a lot and like to go so I can take pictures. Unfortunately there is a wedding going on there at the time. We take a couple of pictures, and then get back in the car. I found out later he was planning on proposing there, but there were too many people. He drives down to this lookout place down the street where we have watched the sunset before. We ended up wandering into this gated park called Parson's Gardens that is usually for weddings and other ceremonies. It is beautiful, enclose, private, etc. We wander for a bit, and he seems to be getting more and more nervous. He starts to tell me things like how much he loves me, how he wants to make me happy, how he wants to have a family with me, and be with me forever. We get to this one private spot, and he is super nervous at this point. I am getting excited and nervous too! Then he gets down on one knee and asks me to marry him, and pulls out the ring. I say YES! Then we kissed, talked a little bit, and took some pictures. Very happy moment. It is an amazing thing to know you want to spend forever with someone, and to make a promise to do that. We enjoyed the moment a bit longer, then took off. I was starving because I was supposed to get breakfast at my Bishop's house. So we stop at Noah's Bagels and get some food. Then we went back and watched the rest of conference at my house. We then drove to my Bishop's house to watch the afternoon session of conference and eat his delicious BBQ. We didn't tell people there, just waited for them to notice, which didn't take long. After conference, we called our parents. Then he had to go to a session of conference just for boys. When he came over afterward he brought me this huge bouquet of roses that is gorgeous. We then went out to celebrate at this nice Italian restaurant downtown. It was fabulous, and pretty dressy. The funny part was that I had ordered a steak, and they assumed it was Brigham's so they brought him the knife, and tried to give him the steak. This sparked my feminist side so I finished the whole steak myself to break another female stereotype. After dinner we went back to Brigham's place and took some pictures, looked at pictures of us, and hung out and just enjoyed being with each other. It was a great day, and it is so fun to be in love! Here are some pictures from the day:

Kerry Park view:

Brigham taking a picture at Kerry Park

Right after we got engaged:




That night, after the dinner.




The flowers he brought me:

And, the ring, it is a vintage 1930's ring with a European Cut diamond, and platinum. Very cool.


10 comments:

Sara said...

It was fun to read your post. There is still this side of you that I just don't KNOW and it's fun to find out about it. Congratulations again!

Anonymous said...

I'm a lucky guy.

I was worried you would say no after you saw the real wedding, and I was just asking if you wanted to have a wedding in the future, and I wasn't sure how my proposal would fare in comparison.

But you said Yes! It was an amazing, happy moment. And you're right: I was pretty nervous. I could feel my vision blurring from nervousness or maybe from dropping to one knee so fast.

I still like seeing that little guy on your finger.

Anonymous said...

Oh, by the way, in case it's not obvious, I'm fuzzyonion.

nikko said...

Karen! We are so happy for you! How wonderful to read the story of how it happened. Reminds me of when David proposed and we were hiking and every place that we came to on the hike that looked promising was swarming with people. ;o)

I am bummed that I won't be able to be there, but am excited to hear about all the plans. I'll live vicariously. ;o)

Stephanie Brown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie Brown said...

It was great to read your engagement story! Congrats!
(from Jarom and Steph)

Kent said...

What a wonderful story and a beautiful ring - to match the happy bride-to-be! We are just thrilled for you and Brigham - what a great couple!

Catherine said...

I was just wondering what your story was and I figured I might find it here. :) Thanks for sharing it with us. I am so happy for you guys!!! That's really funny that he waited so long...sounds torturous! I'm glad he finally asked you. I love the vintage ring, by the way. When's the date??

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

congrats. we are so happy for you:) Can't wait to meet Brigham.

Hannah said...

YAY!!! We are so happy for you Karen!!!(And Brigham!) Keep up the posts...I love hearing all about it!!! Congratulations!