Friday, July 30, 2010

Hawaii Day #3 and 4

Sunday was a lazy day in Hawaii. We woke up late, found out there wasn't a shuttle to church, and had a late breakfast. Spent most of the day trying to plan out the rest of the week, and sitting by the pool and beach. Didn't even take any pictures as I was just trying to take everything in.

Monday we went to watch the Koi Fish Feeding at the pond at the Marriott. They have a huge pond with hundreds of fish that go crazy at their daily feeding. They start out by throwing the food in the middle of the pond where the fish all 'run' when the food hits the water:




After that, they give us some food to give to the fish at the side of the pond. There is a step there and the fish come halfway out of the water to reach the food on the step. They will also take it right out of your hand and such on your fingers to get the food. It is fun and weird at the same time.


After the feeding, we had breakfast and I walked around the Marriott taking pictures of pretty things there.




They have a grill by the side of the pool, and as with a lot of places in Hawaii, this is their philosophy about hours they are open:

Here is Brigham relaxing at one of the many nice sitting areas overlooking the pool:

We went to a place called Duke's for lunch. The food was okay, not great. But they serve this ice cream pie, called Hula pie, that was ginormous!



In the afternoon we took a shuttle to a local shopping center to get some groceries and go to a local farmers market. The farmers market was entertaining. It started at 3pm. We got there 10 minutes early and people were lined up for it. They surrounded it and when it was time to open, this lady blew a whistle and it was like a running of the bulls. Everyone ran in and started buying things like crazy! Here is a picture I took with my iphone:


After I pulled myself off the ground from laughing so hard, I ran in and started buying stuff too! My main goal was a mango, which I had complete success with. I found a lady that would cut it up for me because we didn't have a knife. I took one bite of it, and promptly bought another one. Then, while I waited for Brigham to go and get his coconut, I finished it off, so I had to buy another one. So delicious! I haven't had mangos this good since Ghana. We went home and ate the remaining mangos. Here is a picture of pure joy, so good it almost hurts:

And this is what caused all of this joy:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's even the shirt you wore most days in Ghana! Eating Mangoes! haha

Sara said...

I'm enjoying all your pics, and glad you found amazing mangoes. :)