Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Update on my life

So I have been posting a lot of pictures lately I realized, without much info about what is going on in my life.

First of all, we are moving to California. Not the cool northern part of California, but the other part, the part I have made fun of my whole life. We are talking southern LA area (Irvine). Brigham applied for and got a job with Amazon down there. They wanted us to move fast, so this is happening next week. As a person who does not deal well with change, this is hard for me. I will miss Seattle as I have lived here for the last 5 1/2 years. A lot has happened here including finding my husband, learning how to be a nurse, learning how to be midwife, and learning a lot about myself. I love the culture here, the people, the restaurants, the drivers, etc. There are so many positive things about Seattle, and it has really become my home. It is comfortable and familiar.

This is not the whole story though. There is in fact a reason that we chose to move. While Seattle has been full of happy memories, it has also be a place of heartache for me. As a person who has dealt with depression a lot in my life, living in a place with little sunshine has been hard for me. The summers are great here usually, but the winters last for 10 months, and are terrible. Before summer has even begun I start to dread the return of winter. It is cold, cloudy, rainy, and just plain gloomy. The sun sets at 4:30 in December, and people tend to hole up in their houses when that happens, including me.  There is a lot to do outside in Seattle, but if you want to avoid the rain there is a precious 2 months to enjoy it. We are ready for some sunshine in our lives. Hence, LA, a place with really nice weather most of the year. My best friend lives down there, there are sunny beaches, lots of things to do, and hey, why not? We figured we are young, have no children, and it is the perfect time to try out new places to live to figure out what we like. Brigham is excited about the new job, and it is a great opportunity for him. Plus we prayed about it and felt good. So, we decided to try it out.

But, while I know this is a good decision, I still hate change. I hated giving my notice to work. I hate saying good-bye to people. I hate finding a new place to live. I hate moving. I hate looking for a job.

But, I am also trying to look at the bright side of things. Amazon is moving us so there is very little inconvenience to us. We don't have to pack, and we get temporary housing. Very big positives. Yogurtland is there, one of my favorite places. I get a chance to start a new career. I can get a job doing something completely different if I want to. The streets there are not stupid one lane streets where cars can go both directions. I will have more beautiful sunsets there. We get to explore a new place. I will also be amused by the culture down there, just in a different way. There were 21 bleached blond women at church on Sunday while we were down there. We also get a fun road trip driving on highway 101 down there.

Anyway, that is an update on what is going on in my life. Mixed emotions for sure.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Wow!!!! All I can say is, I'm so glad that Steve happened onto your blog today, or we would've been the last ones to hear your big news. Congratulations to Brigham for landing this new job that he's excited about. Congratulations to Naomi for finally getting you to join her in LA.

It sounds like Amazon is going to take good care of you until you find a place to live. I marvel at situations like yours. You don't have to pack a box? Unreal.

Keep us posted on your transition to sunny Californ-I-A. You're in for a change from the laid-back, long-haired men of Seattle. We are so happy for you, and we wish you all the best!

Sara said...

I, for one, am super excited that you're moving down there! We may actually see each other more often than once every 18 months now. Yay!! I am sorry it's hard, but I bet you guys will do great there. Think of all the fun things you can grow in your garden! Think of all the vitamin D! I'll try not to think about how you don't have to pack, and I do. ;-) Now if we can just get Las Vegas worked out...

nikko said...

We are so happy for you, too! Maybe we can see you a few times before we head back to Texas later in the year.

I totally know what you mean about the weather in WA and depression. I grew up there, so I didn't know any different, but once i moved away, it's hard to come back and visit. It's so dark and dreary. Hard.

(((hugs!)))

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

Had no idea. Your parents just told Michael. So cool that you will be close to Naomi and the sun! So jealous of the moving deal. Have never experienced that as an adult.