Friday, February 8, 2013

First time mom

This is my first baby. That probably means that I will be super paranoid about everything. I don't yet realize that Wesley licking the ground at a store won't kill him. I freak out the second he starts crying and try everything to fix it. I have a lot of questions and feel like I am guessing most of the time as to how to take care of him. I feel like this phase will last forever, and don't yet know that it passes and I will have new challenges.

BUT, that doesn't mean that experienced parents should dismiss my concerns as just first time parent paranoia. I can't tell you how many times I have talked about Wesley's behavior and had people ask if it is my first, and when I say yes, they dismiss me completely. As in- maybe the reason we don't come to all of church isn't because we are paranoid about germs, but maybe it is because Wesley has reflux, gets uncomfortable a lot, and we don't have what we need to deal with it at a church building when he starts to lose it. And maybe when I tell someone that he hasn't pooped for 3 days, you might discover that it really is a problem if you keep listening to me tell you he is only 4 days old.

And, MAYBE it is just first time parent paranoia. But every parent has been there. It doesn't help to make me feel like I'm just inexperienced, and when I have my second I will behave completely differently. That is probably true. But please allow me this first time parent paranoia phase and maybe try to build my confidence, instead of making me feel even more incompetent.

Thanks for listening to my rant-

Sincerely,
me

2 comments:

Sara said...

I hope I haven't ever made you feel that way! I very much remember what it's like with the first one, especially if they have a hard time sleeping/eating/being comfortable...

nikko said...

I feel like all of parenting is a guessing game! Just, over time, your guesses are a little bit more accurate the more experience you have. :o) I'm sure you're doing fine!