Thursday, April 1, 2010

Crazy day!

I don't write a lot of stories from clinicals, but what happened yesterday deserves a retelling. I had my first call shift of the quarter yesterday. Just so you know I am going to be at Madigan Army Medical Center, so I have the whole military component this quarter, again.
I got there at 7, which was fun because it is an hour and half drive. There were 5 patients in labor for us to take care of so we started out running! I will tell you about the crazy stuff only, because there was plenty of that! The first delivery we had happened on the toilet. She had been laboring along pretty well, not making much progress. It was her first baby so we were patient. Then she went into the bathroom, and suddenly we hear screaming. We run in, and the baby's head is out, and we quickly deliver the rest of the baby. We get her on the ground and deliver the placenta. Mom and baby are fine. I was a little shaken, first toilet delivery.

The next thing that happened was a woman that had refused all intervention, including cervical checks. Because of this, we were going off her cues as to how she was progressing. She starts pushing, still refusing to let us check. All of a sudden we see these little blue lips showing from her vagina. The baby was coming out face first! I have never done this before, but jumped right in. The baby came out after several more pushes, and we were amazed! Crazy stuff. Freaked me out.

The next thing that happened was a woman was wheeled in by her boyfriend, screaming that the aliens were coming out of her now. We were wondering if she was in the right place, until we hear her pushing. We pull down her pants, and see a baby's head! Again, quickly deliver the baby.

We have two more patients laboring, one with twins, and one with a really large baby. They both get to complete at the same time, and start pushing. We can't be in two places at once, so I take the lady with the large baby, and my preceptor takes over the twin delivery. They have to deliver in the OR, so they are definitely out of contact. Well, the large baby starts coming down, and suddenly from one exam to the next I am feeling something different. The baby had turned from head down, to a shoulder presenting. You can't deliver a baby that way. But the other patient is in the OR. We have two emergencies. So I tell them to wheel her back anyway. We crowd both patients into the OR, which is not ideal. The doctor is on his way, but we need to do a c-section right away. Not a good situation. My preceptor starts the c-section on the one patient, and I am front and center for the twin delivery. No problem I think, small babies! Well, the first one comes out, meanwhile I am hearing what is going on with the c-section. (We put up a drape between patients). My preceptor is cursing up a storm! She has never been the primary person on a c-section, and where is that doctor. The second twin is a problem though. The cord comes out before the baby's head, which is another emergency requiring a c-section. There is absolutely nothing else we can do. So I scrub up, and start to get that baby out to attempt to save its life. I mean, the first c-section was performed by a farmer on his wife, and they both did fine, why couldn't I do it? I just start cutting, I have seen a lot working as a nurse so I was vaguely familiar with the anatomy. The baby comes out okay, and does well! I sew her back up using my amazing suturing skills, and just as we are finally taking a breath, the doctor walks in! Seriously... Perfect timing on his part. You can pretty much call me doctor Brown now. I am that skilled. They should give me an honorary Doctorate I think for my amazing skills.
By the way, look at the date today...

1 comment:

nikko said...

Aw, you had me going! Did any of that really happen? That is a ton of crazy stuff to happen in one day. And, that poor lady with the big baby... ;o0