Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Arboretum

We have been having BEAUTIFUL weather here in Seattle. The forecast was for rain (of course) for the whole weekend. But it has turned out to be really really nice. Seventy Degrees, sunny, shorts and a t-shirt type of weather, but not too hot. For some reason this year I have had this craving to be outside. Whenever the weather turns nice I almost go crazy if I am not able to go out. Anytime I spend inside when it is nice feels like a waste. So I was really excited to not have to work yesterday.
I went to the Arboretum in Seattle with my sister and her boyfriend. We hiked around and had a picnic lunch and just enjoyed being outside. The arboretum is this place that hasn't been discovered and utilized as much as it should be. All of the parks in Seattle are usually full when the sun comes out, but not too many people have been to the Arboretum. I can't say much because I have only been there once before, and I live 5 minutes away from it. It is just hidden from everything, so you don't really think about it. I enjoyed the fact that there weren't very many people there though. My sister also put up with me as I fumbled with my camera and wanted to take pictures of everything. I haven't figured out completely what settings work best in different lighting situations so it takes me many tries to get a good picture. But, I had a lot of fun.
I also had my first encounter being treated like a real photographer. This guy was taking pictures and he saw my beautiful camera so he assumed that I knew what I was doing. I was able to play it off pretty well. But I liked the respect my camera commands. I love my camera. Here are the results of my efforts:














4 comments:

Sara said...

I have to say that my favorite is the last one with the cool color of green you found. :)

Naomi said...

oh stink... i typed all this stuff and then i didn't have an account so it erased it and now i have to redo it... oh bother... but i love the pictures. :)

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

I love that first one AND the lilly pad. How fun to have an undiscovered park so close...even if you don't go very often. Jo and her boyfriend, huh? I need to talk to that girl. Camera demands respect.

Unknown said...

beautiful colors! I love the colors in the pond and the trees.
Just one critique to maybe try (you said you wanted it!)-- if you have a single flower/piece of foliage/etc., try not putting it in the center, but vary the composition. Take a picture of the same thing, but in different parts of the frame. It'll make it more interesting, and more dramatic.