So I haven't taken a picture in a week now and am realizing that is part of the reason I have had a bad week. I am so attached. But this blog isn't going to all be a love letter to my camera, so I guess I have to pick other topics. I just see other peoples blogs with their beautiful pictures on almost every entry. I wish I had some pictures to include this entry. I get the feeling that I am going to be the type to not take any pictures for a while, and then put out a whole bunch. The same is going to be true for my blogging I think. Oh well. I have always been the type to get really focused on one thing and not do anything else until it is done, and then move on to my next thing. So there will be days of blogging and days of picture taking, and days of other stuff in between.
This week has not been the best week though. I have worked a lot, as I am still picking up extra because of guilt over buying my expensive camera before I go back to school. Every day has had new craziness and bad things going on. Everything worked out okay, but it left a bitter taste in my mouth over my job.
In recap:
Monday: 12 hour shift because I got paid time and a half to do it. Morning: did battle with different doctors because they were not giving appropriate care. Had to get my charge nurse involved in order to get them to follow guidelines. Still ended up with a baby that was infected because mom didn't get antibiotics in labor in time. Had to coordinate getting baby antibiotics as a result. Running around like crazy while other nurses sat at the desk with nothing to do. Afternoon: I had nothing to do so I cleaned our break room and stocked rooms. Still kept really busy, but preferred that to scratch my eyes out boredom.
Tuesday: Was originally supposed to work, but they changed my schedule without my knowledge. Realized it at the end of the day on Monday, so luckily didn't come all the way to work for nothing. Day wasn't as productive because I had expected to be working and have Wednesday off. So I went in to see my eye doctor to be evaluated for LASIK surgery. I passed, so now I just have to work up the courage to get it done. It really freaks me out.
Wednesday: C/S team. Had to deliver 36 week twins that belonged to a Doctor that used to work at our hospital. He was not a very nice doctor while he was here, but he was nice at the delivery. It was craziness though, as usual with twins. And they tried to leave a 4lb 2oz baby with us, as opposed to taking her to the nursery. That wasn't very nice of them, too small.
Thursday: Was orienting another nurse, which always makes things a little crazier. Had to start Magnesium on a patient who was sick with Preecclampsia. This patient also comes into play on Friday. She also had a crazy large family that wanted to be in the room and was the loud obnoxious variety.
Friday: Patient mentioned on Thursday had severe respiratory depression and coded during the night. 2 other patients we had done c/sections on also had severe respiratory depression. Big investigation. I got called up to talk like I was getting in trouble. My manager came with me because she said I might want someone there with me. Weird, made me nervous. There is a big attitude of blame lately at our hospital. Everyone wants to nitpick and find fault with each other. It makes me nervous to do anything. I feel like I will get written up for anything I do. So they called me up to pick apart what I had done, and they found nothing wrong with what I had done. But could they apologize for being so accusatory, no. I am glad that I have gained some confidence as a nurse because if I didn't know I was making the correct actions in recent situations I would really question my ability to be a nurse. I have had to defend myself and fight for things more than ever lately. It is not fun.
So I am a little burned out from work, and don't think I will pick up extra next week so I can finally have a little break. I think I will work in my garden and try to figure out how to make my yard look nicer instead. I have no ability to plan the landscape, it is apparently not a hidden talent of mine that was just waiting to be discovered. One of my favorite hidden talents is being able to pile soft serve ice cream really really high on a cone. I would do that at this self serve station, and have enough ice cream for a week. Yummy... Well I think that is enough ranting and randomness for one day. Like I said, blogging will come in spurts.
2 comments:
wow, i really enjoyed your stories from the entire week. i think you will be really grateful to have things like this as well. i would be terrified in such situations, but that is so great that you've spent enough time to gain the understanding and feel confident. i would love to be a fly on the wall of delivieries..i hope i can be in the room for someone someday..besides myself
hee hee my roommate was really good at piling ice cream on the 37 cent cone at the Maverick's in Provo, she could pile it unbelievably high, I tried but was never as good as her. I do miss that soft serve...yummy flavors and so cheap, nothing like a midnight Maverick run!
Post a Comment