Wednesday, May 21, 2008
Crazy Work Days
So I work on what is called the C-section Team at a local hospital. I take care of women during the whole process as they are having a planned c-section. I started it a few months ago, switching from just taking care of women as they were laboring and having vaginal deliveries, and unplanned c-sections. It is a lot calmer to go the planned route, so I usually don't have as many good stories to share from work. Today there were no planned c-sections so I spent my shift back in the trenches of labor and delivery. No crazy patients or miraculous events (other than birth of course), but I did have an interesting day. Most of this stuff people other than Labor and Delivery nurses won't care about, but I still don't know who I am writing this blog for, so hey. The day started off with me helping with an unplanned c-section. Of course, I don't do enough of them as it is... Well, the primary nurse went to lunch break and I took over the last part of the c-section and the first part of the recovery. She had some extra bleeding in the OR so we had given her a normally pretty harmless drug. Well as soon as she got back to the room and under my responsibility she had a strange reaction to it that most of us had never seen. Her blood pressure shot through the roof and as a result she had a massive headache. Really weird. So I had to treat that and get everyone on the team coordinating her care. Just as she got stable the other nurse came back and I went on to my next fun thing. I went to help in a regular vaginal delivery. Well, for no apparent reason the baby did not want to breathe or do anything when it was born. I have had more experience lately with this unfortunately, so I took the lead role. We called a baby code, and I started bagging the baby (breathing for the baby, not putting it in a bag!) The whole team rushed in after the baby was nice and pink from the oxygen I had provided, and the baby finally came around. The good thing is that they pulled me aside and said that I had done a really good job. That always makes you feel better. But I went straight from that to getting a patient who was 6-7 cm and going natural, which is a ton of work and little crazy. Luckily I didn't break her before I went home for the day. But I did have another patient of mine come in yesterday having had an eclamptic seizure 7 days after she delivered. For those of you who know nothing about any of this, that is a really long time out to have a seizure, especially when she had shown no signs of the disease during labor. So I feel like I am breaking all of my patients lately. Luckily I am such a stinking good nurse I have known how to fix them! ;) I know this is a lot of medical lingo and not very interesting to most people, but like I said, I don't know if most people will be reading this anyway. So there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I thought it was fun to read, and I understand most of it, I think! I'm glad that you at least know what a good nurse you are! Does it weird you out that I comment on your blog entries? Because if you do decide to make it private, I won't be offended... I actually went to your "It's a Baby Not Brain Surgery" link the other day and was reading some of those. Some scary, some funny. :)
so does that mean you did a sort of CPR on the baby? Breathe mouth to mouth? wow, that is amazing...all very intersting stories.
Post a Comment