Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Garden Stuff and Speed Walking

I went out with my camera today because it was a beautiful day and took some pictures of things around my yard. My garden is pretty much done except for tomatoes, cucumbers, and carrots.

These are the first of the tomatoes that I resurrected from the dead. They were pretty much dead and I thought there was no hope of survival for these little plants. But with planting and watering they came back and have actually produced tomatoes! Very exciting!


So I planted broccoli in my garden. I didn't realize it would take so long to grow, and that it was a cooler weather vegetable. So I haven't really gotten any broccoli off it. But I find it interesting what it does. It makes the broccoli, you can see some in this picture. Then it flowers, at which point you can no longer harvest it. These are the flowers it forms:

After the flowering stage it grows these little pods, like a pea pod. So weird.


This is the last of my lettuce. One of my pole beans made its way over to the lettuce and wound its way around it. I thought it was funny.


I took some shots of my daisies that have decided to bloom one more time this summer. I tried to have more artistic angles this time.


And then I played in photoshop with them, of course.





The leaves are starting to change colors. Bye Bye summer. Sadness....


Here is my lettuce blooming. Weird to see the whole life cycle of a plant. The lighting was cool though.





And now to the speed walking portion. For our Family Home Evening this week, we had a speed walking race. Apparently it was an olympic event in which they went 20k, and did 6-8 minute miles. Craziness. I can't even run that fast. But we decided it would be fun to try it ourselves, and did short races, more like a walking sprint instead of a marathon. It was dark so forgive the poor quality of pictures.
This was the final heat. One of the Elders gets too much practice walking because he smoked everyone else!


Here is my heat. After much trash talking, it was so funny I couldn't take it too seriously and lost. It was a lot of fun though.


One of the other heats. My roommate Charity smoked 'em in this one.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love love love the Leaves picture, and the one right after that, the lettuce blooming (?). And I always appreciate daisy pictures :)
Speed walking...people look SO ridiculous doing it, and I can't help but laugh when I try - how do they keep straight faces in competitions???

Kent said...

I love the way your photographer's eye catches something the rest of us (I) would probably overlook and captures something beautiful. Loved the fall leaves and the cool light on the flowers.

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

I love the tomato shot. And I had no idea lettuce looked like that in the beginning. It's fun seeing you play with friends:)

nikko said...

I love the leaves and the tomatoes picture.

Your garden rocked this year. Ours stunk big time, but I'm not giving up yet. I'm going to plant a fall garden! Yay!