At work last week we were super busy. Everyone decided to have their baby at the same time, and I have no idea where this many pregnant ladies came from. Seriously. So I got to work and they had filled up the normal rooms we use for c-sections with Antepartum patients. So they inform me within five minutes of arriving that I had a patient that had been waiting in the waiting room for a while, but the only room I could use was one we don't use very often. It is normally a storage room because the thermostat doesn't work, and it is extremely hot in there all the time. We had fans going, but just walking by you could feel the heat emanating from it. And the bathroom was moldy because we never use it. So housekeeping was there to clean it. Great... I was so excited to be there.
So I hurry and get my patient out of the waiting room because we were already behind in getting her ready. I apologize profusely for the room, and you know what? The first thing out of her mouth was commenting how big the room was. Not your typical patient, let me tell you. So we suffer through the pre-surgery stuff in the sauna. We go to the OR where it is nice and cool. Then we come back to the sauna. I was dying in the room and I got to leave a lot. I couldn't imagine how she felt. But everytime I apologized she just made some nice comment about everything. So AMAZING! I hurry and get her recovered so she can leave the sauna and go to a normal room. And... there is not other room for her to go to. She is stuck in the sauna for another 2 hours, bringing the total time to 5 1/2 hours. I was dripping sweat by the end. She was as pleasant as ever. She finally let me bring her a bucket of ice water and rags to cool her down. But, she was probably one of the most pleasant, positive people I have ever met. Seriously. I love it.
4 comments:
Positive people are so pleasant to be around! I bet she wouldn't have been so sweet if she was in labor, LOL.
a little sweat is good for ya...glad she wasn't screaming at you.
Hey Karen, its Becky from Monticello! How are you! I just found Naomi's blog and yours. Hope all is going well!
So, I tried to comment on this when you first posted it, about how it was a good thing that lady wasn't ME, but that was the old computer, and it wasn't working. Updates, my friend?
Post a Comment