I had an amazingly crazy day at work yesterday. I was feeling guilt about not working any extra shifts, so I agreed to come in early, at 7 to help out. I ended up in three different c-sections throughout the day, all of which were a little insane.
First case: Early morning case, don't have much time to prepare so scrambling to get the patient ready in time. Everything goes amazingly smooth though and the patient was really funny and nice. She didn't find out the sex of the baby, but had 3 boys at home. Ended up with her fourth, but was genuinely okay with it. Good start to the day right? I kept thinking everything was going way too smooth, until the patient started to bleed too much after her surgery. We were just getting ready to transfer her out when she starts passing huge blood clots. Not too stressed yet, being her fourth baby and with her being older kinda expected this. Do a few things, still doesn't help. So call to the doctor, some new medications, and she is in much better shape. Have to move her out before I am comfortable in order to help with the next case. Worry about how her bleeding is the rest of the day, because I didn't trust her uterus to behave properly. Ended up being the best case of the day though...
Second case: I jumped right into this one as we were going back to the Operating Room. It was a set of twins, with the parents being two female lawyers of course. She also had this rare blood defect that caused her to have low platelets. They almost had to transfuse her before surgery. Delivering twins is always craziness. It is twice as much work with the same amount of time. For all of you people that may think twins are exciting and cute, I have to disagree. From my job's standpoint they are absolute chaos. Well, the surgery went well again, but the second baby decided to drop his blood sugar and keep it down despite being force fed large amounts of formula. Not very fun. I was in the middle of dealing with that issue when I got pulled into the third and least fun case.
Third Case: There was a woman who had just come from a doctors appointment and been admitted with a fever for days and full body pain. Her baby looked crappy, and she was only 33 weeks. She was also contracting like crazy. I ran into the room when the baby's heart rate went into the toilet and then we couldn't find it anymore. There was nothing stocked in the room to deal with something like that. But the heart rate comes back up just as the doctor runs in the room. She decides to do an emergent c-section, and the nurse proceeds to tell me she is going to be my patient. The patient was out of control in pain coming from all over her body. She looked really sick and I thought, and was right, that she was septic. We rush her back and do our thing of putting her to sleep and getting the baby out in minutes. The baby goes to the NICU, and as the anesthesiologist is waking her up after surgery, he says that she needs an ICU bed. She is really really sick. They start putting in Arterial lines, and central lines and I am trying to get everyone that needs to be there present. I NEVER get patients that are that sick, so all of the extra lines and stuff are way beyond my knowledge base. So I call my charge nurse to come and help out, as well as the ICU charge nurse. It is absolute chaos, and not fun at all. I transferred her to the ICU and went home finally before another disaster. Ouy. What a day.
So I am taking Thursday and Friday and going hiking on the Olympic Peninsula with 2 friends. It should be fun and cold and wet and full of good pictures. I am excited for the break and should be posting pictures of it soon.
4 comments:
Enjoy your days off!
I'm glad I'm reading these stories when I am NOT pregnant!
I know you already told me this on the phone, but it was entertaining to read again. I feel your pain. Hope you had fun hiking, oh and i put pictures on my blod you would be so proud :)
wow, what a crazy day ! i really enjoy hearing all the stories, keep 'em coming. I can't wait to see all your hiking pictures!
I'm glad you're getting a break!! That sounds pretty crazy. So, does this mean I can link to your blog now?
Post a Comment