Thursday, August 21, 2008

Beach Day #3

Day number 3 was a little more relaxed. We didn't go anywhere or do anything, just mainly hung out at the beach and played in the water. My brother Michael has always wanted to try surfing. I have tried it once before so I can appreciate how difficult it is. I spent most of the time just enjoying the wet suit and floating in the water. Never really made it up. But my brother is the extremely talented athletic type so I knew he could do it. And he did. He made it up almost the first try, and I was there to witness and document it! He ended up doing it for hours that day because he only had the surfboard for 24 hours total. I could not believe how long he stayed out. But he is the amazing type that likes to run marathons and triathlons and is good at pretty much anything he tries. Where did those genes go for me, I don't know. But here he is!

And he made it up in style!

One of my other brothers, Steven. He takes after me for making faces in pictures.

My mom. She hates to have her picture taken, just like me as well. But with my super zoom lens I got this picture from across the room without her knowing it. hehehehe.... watch out people, I am sneaky with my camera now!


The major event for the day was a photo shoot of my brother Steven and his family. My SIL Kristen was the main photographer, but she let me and Julie follow behind her to try and get some practice and sneak some shots in. This is the closest thing to my first photo shoot. It was quite entertaining having 3 people with camera's following this family around. I am sure people were curious. And my brother's family was nice enough to let us tag along. It was quick and harder than I thought. People are different to take pictures of than landscapes. They don't hold still for long and expect you to get the perfect shot the first time. I ended up a little frustrated with my pictures because I am a perfectionist and they didn't come out quite as good as I wanted. I did learn a lot from it though, and hope to do better at my next opportunity. I just have to keep reminding myself that I am new to this. Learning is difficult for me! I want to be great right now. So these are my best shots. Let me know what you think!



























And, we had a beautiful sunset again that night. Here are my 2 favorite shots of it. Believe me, it is difficult to limit it to 2!

Love the bird in this one! Perfect location!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the one of S&J walking in the water, the family silhouette, Steven frolicking in the water, and the last sunset one. Yay for family photo shoots!

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

the bird and the sun look awesome at the end. Yeah, Michael is quite the athlete, I can't believe he stayed out there so long. I love that shot of your mom, way to be sneaky!

Jen said...

Karen I love the photo shoot pix. I must get a copy of Steve jumping. How did the individual shots of us turn out that you took back in Fremont?