I saw a movie Man on Wire on Saturday night. It is a documentary about a French man who decided he wanted to string a wire between the Twin Towers and walk across it. He spent years dreaming of doing this, and planning it. It seemed a nearly impossible task to accomplish because it was so risky, illegal, and took a lot of rigging. But he had a dream to accomplish it and devoted nearly a year of his life to just planning it. Everything ended up working out okay and he got up on the wire and walked for 45 minutes between the roofs of the Twin Towers.
I really liked the movie, it was really well done. He was an entertaining French man who was funny and crazy. But he had a dream and he accomplished it. As strange as the dream was, it is admirable how dedicated he was to it. Despite all of the risks and the appearance of being impossible, he persevered through all of it to accomplish his goals.
It left me thinking a little bit about my own goals. How many big goals do I set for myself? I think I sometimes dismiss ideas right away because they seem impossible. How dedicated to my goals am I? I think it is so easy in life to get caught up in the day to day hassle and not look to bigger ideas and goals. I can make to do lists, and set little goals and accomplish them, but how often do I make big goals and really strive for them? What risks am I willing to take to accomplish my goals? I guess what I really took out of the movie was that sometimes it pays to dream big and then work for it. You never know what will work out in the end.
Some experiences I have had during this last year have left me a little more appreciative about life and the opportunities for happiness that are around us. I have realized the importance of living in the moment and sucking as much happiness out of life as you can. That led to some amazing experiences, like swimming with dolphins, and going back to school, and starting my photography hobby. I think I just started to learn the importance of making opportunities instead of waiting for them. It takes a lot of effort to live in the moment that way, instead of dreaming of your 'someday,' but I was glad to have this movie to remind me of the importance of setting and fulfilling dreams.
I think one of my biggest 'impossible' dreams is to live and volunteer in another country on a more full-time basis. It seems like there is no way to have those doors open up for me, but I am going to keep trying. What are some of your 'impossible dreams?' I think it is good for us to think about...
3 comments:
Hmmm. Walking on a tight rope across some buildings. How am I suppose to beat that? I dunno, I was just getting good at waiting for things to come to me, but I'll give it a shot. How's this? One day I would like to own my very own pinball machine. How sweet would that be?
I'm finding the same thing is true -- can't just sit around waiting for life to happen. However, with kids, I end up spending so much of our life tending to their needs and trying to make opportunities for them to learn and grow that I really don't think too much about dreams. Great post, Karen. :o)
what are my impossible dreams? I just don't know. I'm not a big dreamer. Michael is. You've done a great job jumping into new skills and such...
Post a Comment