The first session of my lab was uneventful on Friday. Had a quiet group and just basically got through. But the second session was a little more lively. I had heard that one of the girls had tried to call in sick, but I am not offering any make-up labs so she was still forced to come. Great, I thought. She came and talked to me and told me she was having a reaction to a medication she was taking and had vomited on the bus, but was going to try and make it through lab. I told her she could go home if she needed to and we would work something out, but she insisted on staying. The whole lab she was off in a world of her own. Laughing at inappropriate times, singing to herself, totally spacey most of the time. But she was in a good mood and kept volunteering for things, even though she clearly had no capacity to function. She could barely walk she was so tipsy. Even being an innocent Mormon girl, I figured out there was something really off with her. I was wondering which 'medication' she had taken.

She even started petting one of the other students during one of the scenario's we went through. It was a little disturbing and comical at the same time. I was not too sure what to do about it, and talked to my fellow TA's about it. One of them came to observe her and see if they could figure out what was going on with her. During the last 10 minutes of class the girl could no longer hold it in and started vomiting. I went to help her while the other TA tried to keep the other students distracted for a while. I helped her to lay down when she was done and waited for lab to be over so I could talk to her a little bit. After talking to the other TA we agreed that she had probably started a psychotrophic medication and was having a reaction to it. We talked to her a little bit and made sure she could get home okay. Interesting times, let me tell you.

I had to include a gross picture. I am nurse, what do you expect?
The other interesting part of the class happened during one of the scenario's. I run the students through a scenario where a woman has had a stillbirth delivery. It is really sad and I have had some students cry at it before. This time, we had some really good students acting out the parts, and they got us all crying. Everyone started to break down at the end, including myself. I have been through this scenario 7 times before, but for some reason this time really got to me as well. So I had to stop it and let us all collect ourselves before we talked. Stupid girl emotions... Crying in the middle of my class, that's right. Over something that I made up.
5 comments:
That was such a gross picture! Sick! Interesting experiences teaching...but you still love it, right? :)
Sounds like... fun? Ew. Sorry about the grossness. Are you looking forward to having the weekend "off"? (Or do you still have labs this Friday? :( )
Eeew! Yucky. I wonder what that girl's deal was?
How sad about stillborn babies. I would have been bawling, too.
I am working at the hospital instead of teaching this Friday. Lame. No rest for Karen...
yucky! i liked your pill picture.
Post a Comment