Friday, October 1, 2010

Drive to California

 I have already talked about the fact that we are in California now. I neglected to post pictures from our drive though. To get down here, we drove along highway 101 in Oregon, and then  Highway 1 in California. It was along the coast most of the way, and it was beautiful! We took 4 days, which was actually pushing it. We thought we would have so much time to stop along the way, but we drove for around 10 hours most days. This is due to the windy nature of the road, and the lower speed limit. But we did stop some and take pictures.

This is Cape Disappointment in Washington.
 Just a cool design in the wood:

 Stopped the car for a scenic view. Most of the rest of these are a result of that.



 The first night we stayed in Florence Oregon. We stayed at a place called the Blue Heron. It is a bed and breakfast that is run by an elderly couple. We had a jetted tub for 2 in our room, as well as a shower with 2 shower heads. For breakfast we had a 2 course meal with the other guests. It was fun!

The next night we stayed in a small town in California right where Highway 1 starts, called Westport. It was a small little town, with most of the buildings deserted. It was foggy when we got there, and the owners were a little creepy. All of this, with the abandoned buildings, very small population, etc. contributed to a ghost town feel. We joked around about it and tried to scare each other. Just to give you a feel for the place, the inn used to be called The Cobweb Palace. They still had the sign as a decoration in the pub. Who would try to attract people by naming a place The Cobweb Palace? Despite our suspicions about the owner, who wielded a knife, and asked us what we thought it was before even introducing himself (it was a cake knife), we survived the night, and got back in the car for another day of long driving.
The Golden Gate Bridge






Our last day was our shortest. We drove through Malibu, hit LA right at commute time but survived, and found our temporary home without difficulty. We also saw some of the most beautiful beaches. Reminded me of Hawaii.



1 comment:

nikko said...

These pictures turned out so nice. I think the first one is my favorite. I have always wanted to go all along 1 and 101. I have done sections, but never the whole thing!

I have been to Florence (I have cousins who grew up there) and it is so nice there!