Thursday, July 3, 2008

Fun times at work...

So today was a crazy day at work. I came to work and heard some screaming going on in the halls. Since I no longer work Labor and Delivery this is a bit unusual. But when we are completely full on Labor we have patients come over to us. I knew we had a full day of c-sections so I figured I wouldn't get pulled into the mess. But the crazy weather we had today brought out some serious laboring patients. We had 2 patients walk in completely dilated at the same time. I ran in to help with one of them She delivered within 4 minutes of getting in the room. Pretty impressive. More impressive was that I didn't have to catch the baby. One of the residents made it in the room in time. The sad thing was the patients biggest fear her whole pregnancy had been that she wouldn't get an epidural. Oh well, she did great. It made me miss labor and all of the craziness and fun you have there. Pretty fun, and she ended up being my patient the next couple of hours. Very nice patient. It was refreshing.
My next patient came over an hour late for her c-section. So we had to get her ready really fast. Not fun. But she was a pretty cool patient as well. Interesting situation. She had a best friend who was gay. They lived together, and decided to have a baby together. Not your typical situation, but I thought it was a kinda cool. They were great people. Interesting parents. They had also had a baby die at birth last year. Very sad. So it was an emotional delivery, but they had a beautiful healthy baby this time. It was fun to be a part of their happy ending.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Wait a second...the best friend of your patient was a guy? They have a completely platonic friendship? There is such a variety of sexuality in Seattle, is there not? I guess the fact that the newborn child's parents are friends is a step up from some situations.
Would you ever go back to labor and delivery?

Jen said...

I added comments on some old posts, just so you know.

Karen said...

I would go back in a second if I could have the same schedule I have now. I just had to decide between having Sundays off and enjoying my job a lot more. So I do miss Labor.

nikko said...

I love reading your L+D stories. :o)