Sunday, July 6, 2008

Update on my Garden

So the blog throw up has begun. Sorry for the mass postings. Expect them to keep coming for a little bit. I can't seem to stop taking pictures! And then I want to post them! So have a backlog of pictures to post. But I thought it was time for an update on my garden. I have really enjoyed growing it this year, and attempting to tame my yard. I think the last time I posted pictures of it things had just sprouted, but it is much bigger now! I have already harvested peas, lettuce, carrots and strawberries. Very fun and delicious. I am pretty excited with how it has turned out as it is my first try at growing some of the things. So here goes:

This is not part of my garden, but it is in my yard. I had no idea, but we have a cherry tree! And they are totally edible and delicious. I get to walk outside and pick some cherries and just munch on them straight off the tree. I love Seattle. It is great for things like this. And I had no idea what kind of tree it was until the cherries showed up. Great!


My lovely Strawberries. I love growing them. They are almost no work and grow great. All you have to do is keep things from eating them, which is proving to be quite challenging.

Cucumbers. They almost died, but are doing better now. I think they need more sun, but hey, its Seattle.



My Tomato plant. Just planted it a couple of weeks ago.


Bush beans, with some pathetic peas in the back.


My Pole Beans


From Left: Broccoli, Carrots, Lettuce


My lettuce that I still need to make a giant salad with. I think it is so hard to pick the foods that I grow. Weird I know.


My first strawberries! Yummy Yummy.... One of my favorite foods in the world is home grown strawberries. These were the first two that the crows and the slugs didn't get. It is a battle out there, let me tell you!

6 comments:

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

beautiful strawberries! do they really taste different when home grown?

steve said...

Nice work with the garden. That is really impressive. You should talk to my brother once he moves in. He has grown all kinds of cool peppers. At my family's house we have some fruit trees going, and lots of good herbs. I think that the only thing I could grow is rosemary, since it pretty much grows on its own.

He also grew some mushrooms once, but that requires a degree of sterility, an air filter, and a syringe.

nikko said...

Wow! Those lettuces look great! I need to do some lettuce when our weather cools down a bit in the fall. They would get scorched alive out there now!

Jen said...

Isn't it amazing how different home-grown strawberries are from store-bought? Notice how round they are, even the shape is different.
I'm quite impressed with your abilities. You've done a good job with your garden, you can tell it is well loved. We're pushing to resume vegetable gardening spring of '09. We actually have a yard now!

Jo said...

yummy! Let me know if you need to unload any lettuce---me and Lucy love it...the only thing I really miss from not having a garden this year.

Sara said...

My sweet, domestic little Karen. I wonder if I shall ever have a garden. Hmm. If I could grow lettuce that tasted as good as yours looks, I would try it!